Monday, September 25, 2017

First Week of Work

Since it is the Sunday after my first week working at my new job, I reckon its time for an assessment.

As I mentioned before my new job is essentially receptionist at a martial arts studio for kids. This dojo essentially runs an after school program for kids in kindergarten and elementary schools nearby. They've been experiencing a lot of growth lately so they hired on a couple new people all this month, me included. This week all of us new hires have learned how to clean everything- and we clean frickin all day long. Kids are frickin messy as crap but we keep that place basically spotless. This and watching to make sure the kids arent killing each other are the main parts of our day. Other than that theres an hour-ish portion of our workday devoted to going out and picking all the kids up from their different schools that all get out at different times. After theyre in the dojo we get some chill time where I basically sit at the desk and just watch the lessons.

You know what let me lay out an average work day:
Noon - get into the dojo, start cleaning EVERYTHING
around 2 - head out in 2 large vans to make a couple pick-up trips
around 3 - kids eat a snack on the mat, then change into their gi and they can play legos or something
around 4 - class starts, some of the girls take a break or clean, I sit at the front desk
around 5 - those kids are picked up, I need to recognize their parents and call them out to be picked up, then other kids are dropped off for 5:00 lessons
around 6 - the 5:00 lesson is over, those kids go home, we're done, time to clean again and go home

Its super easy, super chill, and the people I work with are kind, competent, and warm. The kids are cute, rowdy, and annoying. The parents seem nice, for adults. Big bonus- I essentially get to wear tights and comfy clothes and no shows as a job requirement haha! I swear guys, after wearing scrubs for 4 years and now this... if I'm going to wear progressively more comfortable clothing with each job I guess I'll eventually just end up working in jammies.

What I also like about the job is how minimally it impacts the rest of my life. The hours are short and they fly by, and its pretty low stress. After work I actually have the time and energy to work on art and other projects. Instead of killing my hopes at working on my art career this job may be making them a possibility. We'll see though.

The minimum wage thing still sucks though.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Yessss! Tell me what you think!